Protecting personal information is fundamental to Ascend’s relationship with our clients, employees, suppliers and business partners. All personal information received in connection with an Ascend product or service, or in the conduct of Ascend’s business, is therefore treated seriously, having regard to the company’s legal obligations. Personal information is information that identifies you or could identify you. Ascend are subject to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), including the Australian Privacy Principles.
3 Information Collected
Generally, Ascend collects personal information directly from you via your use of the products and services on offer, use of the Ascend website (www.ascendstrata.com.au), any registration you make to participate with or receive information from our company, and any business relationship between you and us, including via email. The personal information which Ascend collects and hold includes
- your name, age, billing and/or shipping address, email address, gender, TFN, occupation, telephone number(s)
- information about dealings with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), including lodgement history;
- email correspondence to which we have been either a sending or receiving party for the purposes of future reference.
- opinions and beliefs provided via surveys and questionnaires from time to time.
If you do not give personal information to us, it may affect our ability to provide you with products and/or services. Where we engage with you multiple times over a short period in relation to the same matter, we may not provide you with a separate notice about privacy each time we engage with you however we will provide you with an opportunity to opt–out of receiving communications about that matter within each of those communications.
5 Information from Third Parties
6 Public Forums, Refer a Friend, and Customer Testimonials
Ascend may provide bulletin boards, blogs, or chat rooms on our website. Any personal information you choose to submit in such a forum may be read, collected, or used by others who visit these forums, and may be used to send you unsolicited messages. Ascend are not responsible for the personal information you choose to submit in these forums.
7 Storage of Personal Information
8 Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Ascend collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for purposes including, without limitation:
- to verify your identity;
- to improve our online services
- to facilitate community competitions and programs;
- to provide, and to assist us with providing products and services to you, to manage and account for the products and services, and to improve the products and services;
- to manage our relationship(s) with you;
- to provide you with information about events, products and/or services that may interest you;
- to facilitate the internal business operations of Ascend;
- to promote and market events, products or services;
- to undertake research;
- to enable corporate partners and sponsors of the Ascend, as well as their related bodies corporate, to market and promote their products and services to you; and
- to our third party service providers in connection with any of the above.
Ascend may also disclose personal information where it is otherwise permitted to do so by law.
Sharing Information With Third Parties
We engage third parties to perform services in connection with the operation of our business. Examples of these services include payment processing and authorisation, fraud protection and credit risk reduction, product customisation, marketing and promotional material distribution, website evaluation, data analysis and, where applicable, data cleansing. We may need to share personal information with these third parties so that they can perform these services, however, we limit the personal information that we give to them and authorise them to use this information only for the purpose of performing those services. Ascend do not otherwise disclose personal information without your permission, unless the disclosure is
- required or authorised by law, including without limitation the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
9 Accessing www.ascendstrata.com.au
You need not disclose your identity to Ascend in order to visit www.ascendstrata.com.au (‘our website’), except where personal information is voluntarily supplied, however our internet server may automatically record details about any computer used to access the website (such as the IP address, domain name and browser type), the date and time of access, and details of the information downloaded. This information is used for internal statistical purposes and to improve our website.
Ascend may use “cookies” on our website. A cookie is a small text file that Ascend may place on your computer. Usually, cookies are used as a means for our websites to remember your preferences and are thus designed to improve your experience of our website. Cookies may collect and store personal information about you. You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent. Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
When you visit and browse our website, our website host and some third party service providers may collect
- the number of users visiting our website and the number of pages viewed;
- the date, time and duration of a visit;
- visiting patterns of individuals accessing our website
- the IP address of your computer; and
- the path taken through our website.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
If you are under 18, you should only use our website with involvement of a parent or guardian. For their protection, we ask that anyone under 18 years of age does not attempt to provide us with any personal information without the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
10 Information Security
Ascend will take reasonable steps to protect all personal information within their direct control from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Ascend will take reasonable steps to hold information securely in electronic or physical form in access controlled premises or in electronic databases requiring logins and passwords.
11 Contacting Us Regarding Access, Correction and Privacy Complaints
An individual may:
- request access to and seek the correction of their personal information held by Ascend at any time;
- make a complaint in relation to an alleged breach of privacy; or
You will be required to provide proof of identity in order to obtain access to your personal information. Ascend may charge an administration fee where access is provided. Ascend may refuse to provide access if permitted to do so by law. Ascend aims to provide access to your personal information within 30 days of a valid request however, given that the organisation is volunteer based, this may not always be possible.
At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously;
- will be dealt with as promptly as possible;
- will be dealt with in a confidential manner; and
- will not affect your existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between you and Ascend.
The Ascend secretary will commence an investigation into your complaint. You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint within a reasonable period of time following completion of the investigatio